Field Reports: Family day activities planned at Brule River
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources office at Brule will hold its Family Fun Day on June 3.
Activities will take place at the Brule Fish Hatchery and at the canoe landing at the Bois Brule Campground and Picnic Area.
Activities planned for the day at the hatchery include:
• Fly-tying and casting
• Gyotaku (fish printing) — bring a T-shirt to paint or T-shirts will be available for $5 each
• Catch-and-release fishing, hatchery tours, live sea lamprey
• Fish-filleting demonstration
• North Country Trail Association camping display and hike
• Kids' archery
• Fire-suppression equipment on display
• NRRI insect display, aquatic invasive species display
Activities at the canoe landing:
• June 3-4 is Free Fun Weekend — no admission sticker is required at Wisconsin parks and forests
• Fisheries professionals will demonstrate fish shocking
• Canoe the Brule River from the Bois Brule Canoe Landing to U.S. Highway 2
Mom fishes free today
Mothers who are residents of Minnesota can fish without a license today during the state's Take a Mom Fishing Weekend. Moms can fish only for species that have open fishing seasons. For more information on fishing seasons and regulations, visit mndnr.gov.